It's holiday time coming up.....are you ready?! Whether you have your own business or whether you work for someone else from home, taking a whole 6 weeks (or more) off is not usually an option!! I work from home because of the flexibility it gives me, but it can be very hard to get things done in the summer holidays! Don't abandon your work / business over the summer even though it can be hard, you will be glad you didn't in September.
If you work from home and you struggle to get things done over the school holidays, here are some of the things I do to keep things ticking over:
1. Schedule what you can NOW. Social media posts, blog posts can all be scheduled in advance and will ensure your audience don't think you have disappeared off the face of the earth for 6 weeks!! So put some hard work in now, get those posts scheduled and its so much less to worry about.
2. Prioritise your work and focus on the most important tasks to be done each week. Be prepared to get less done than you do normally, so lower your expectations, but still focus on the important things to get done. Think about what MUST I do, what SHOULD I do, and what can definitely be left until another date.
3. Have a bag of work to pick up and take out and about with you. You may find there is a spare half an hour when the kids are playing, when you can get some work done. I often find I can get a fair bit done in an hour at soft play!
4. Have a Power Hour - an hour when you focus on specific important tasks with minimum distractions. I often use power hours even when it is not school holidays! A good time might be before the kids get up or after they go to bed. Or depending on the age of your children, if you find a time when they are focused on something, you can use that time as a power hour. My daughter loves crafting and I set her up with lots of crafting bits while I settle to a power hour. You can do these as often as you like during a week and it can be surprising what you can get done when you minimise distractions!
5. If you are in a position to use holiday clubs / organised activities for the kids then DO IT!! You can get a lot done in your business in a morning or afternoon and the kids will love doing something a bit different. This is great a few times over the summer to give you a little extra time to get stuff done!
Most importantly have some time off with your children and lots of fun!! I have holidays booked in when I will not be doing anything as it is my family time, but I know my posts are scheduled! It is also good for you to have a break as it will help you be more focused when you return to 'normal' working hours in September.
So in summary, get organised, prioritise, have fun and time off, but don't abandon your work!
Love Teresa x
Check out my other blogs on Working From Home Tips
To know more about my work from home options visit the 'How I earn' tab
For money saving tips you will need the 'Money Saving Tips' tab.
Hi, I am Teresa. I am mum to two gorgeous children and I work from home. This blog is about my journey working from home. I hope to be able to help others who are looking for an additional income, or are looking for ways to save money.